Southern Baptist Congregations and Worshippers
How to identify a Worshiper:
- Predominantly female (60%)
- The average age of a worshiper in a Southern Baptist congregation is 49 years old.
- Fifty-four percent of worshipers in Southern Baptist churches are employed full-time or part-time.
- Twenty-three percent are retired, 10 percent are full-time homemakers, and 3 percent are students.
- Worshipers in Southern Baptist congregations are less educated than worshipers in general.
- Southern Baptists are fairly representative of the population as a whole regarding income.
- $100K + 11%
- 75K - 99K 11%
- 50K - 74K 23%
- 25K - 49K 29%
- 10K - 24K 17%
- < 10K 8%
Seven of 10 Southern Baptist worshipers are married—75 percent of those that are married are in their first marriage.
- Fourteen percent of worshipers have never married.
- One of 5 worshipers (21.3%) has experienced divorce or is currently separated—the large majority (70%) have remarried.
- Eight percent of Southern Baptist worshipers report they are currently widowed—an additional 2 percent report they remarried
after being widowed.
- Two percent of worshipers are not married but indicate they live with someone in a committed relationship.
Forty-two percent of worshipers in Southern Baptist congregations indicated they were attending worship with their spouse at the time of the survey.
Forty-four percent of Southern Baptist worshipers have children who live with them.
- Thirty-one percent live in a marital relationship where children are not currently present.
- Five percent of worshipers live in a household where there is one adult with children present.
- Twelve percent of worshipers live alone.
Southern Baptists are less diverse than worshipers as a whole and less diverse than the U.S. population.
- Asian or Pacific Islander - 1%
- Black or African American - 4%
- Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish Origin - 3%
- Indian (American) or Alaska Native - 2%
- White or Caucasian - 91%
- Some other race - 1%
(Note that respondents were allow to choose more than one category, thus the sum of percentages does not equal to 100.)
Download full Research Report, Southern Baptist Congregations and Worshipers: Supplement to A Field Guide to U.S. Congregations, by Phillip B. Jones
Download PowerPoint® Slides