Sample Ministry Proposal: Associational Resort
Sam and Betty Anne Schlegel
The following three pages are adapted from the proposal presented to the St.
Johns River Baptist Association executive committee for the first resort and
leisure missions program to be conducted in the St. Augustine, Fla. This
association is made up of a wide variety of churches, from large, relatively
cosmopolitan, congregations on the coast to small, rural, churches inland. This
proposal sought to explain why and how the ministry would be done in as clear
and simple a way as possible. It was readily received and approved, and an
updated version is included in this manual as an example of how a resort and
leisure ministry might get underway.-Editors
FIRST COAST RESORT MINISTRY
St. Johns River Baptist Association Resort and Leisure Ministries
First Coast Resort Ministry is the name under which the resort and leisure
ministry activities of the St. Johns River Baptist Association are conducted
and marketed in the community-at-large. This name was selected to establish an
identity as a local ministry focusing on the resort and tourism areas in and
near St. Augustine. As such, it has helped open doors and reduce suspicion when
offering our resort and leisure ministry programs and activities to people in
commercial and government settings.
First Coast Resort Ministry (FCRM) is primarily concerned with sharing the
good news of Jesus Christ with all people in secular resort settings and
locations, rather than the promotion of those doctrines and beliefs that are
uniquely Baptist. Therefore, a specific denominational identity does not appear
in the name so that opportunities for ministry will not be prematurely or
unnecessarily closed. However, sponsorship of FCRM is clearly expressed in all
contacts and promotional materials as a cooperative effort of all of the
Southern Baptist churches in St. Johns, Putnam, and Flagler counties who are
members of the St. Johns River Baptist Association.
Resort and leisure ministries communicate the gospel of Jesus Christ through
mission ministry approaches to people involved in resort settings or leisure
lifestyles. The purpose of these ministries is to express the love of God and
the care of His churches to people who visit the resort settings and to those
people, both seasonal and permanent residents, who work in the resort and
leisure industries, activities, and special events of such areas.
To involve churches and individuals in the St. Johns River Baptist Association
and other mission volunteers in Christian outreach and ministry in the tourism
and leisure areas of the association, particularly in St. Augustine and the
beaches where more people are engaged in leisure pursuits.
To provide opportunities for worship, Bible study, and Christian counseling
among tourists, campers, owners and employees of resort and leisure businesses,
boaters, people at special events, and those in other resort or leisure
To provide day camping, recreation, creative arts, and special programs and
performances for people in resort and leisure areas in an effort to minister to
their needs and to share the gospel in appropriate and meaningful ways.
To coordinate the efforts of other Southern Baptists and Christians who
desire to be involved in cooperative resort and leisure ministry in this
PROPOSED POSITION DESCRIPTION
Director, First Coast Resort Ministry
1. Coordinates the planning and programming for the associational resort and
leisure missions program.
2. Is accountable for the expenditures that are related to the program
3. Trains and supervises all volunteers and staff, including student summer
missionaries and others assigned to the program by the Florida Baptist
Convention, the North American Mission Board, and other approved sources of
4. Encourages the churches in the association to actively support the program
and to involve their members in its activities.
5. Coordinates the training and activities of individuals or groups who have
been invited or approved to assist with the ministry.
6. Report to the Associational Missions Development Council and the director of
missions on a regular basis.
PROPOSED POSITION DESCRIPTION
Ministry Associates, First Coast Resort Ministry
1. Is actively involved in the resort and leisure ministries program of the
St. Johns River Baptist Association for the nine-week assignment period, under
the supervision of the director of First Coast Resort Ministry.
2. Shares his or her Christian faith with people in resort and leisure
settings, as well as with the church volunteers who work with them.
3. Serves in an informal chaplaincy role with owners and employees of resort
and leisure businesses and events.
4. Conducts or assists with such programs as day camping, recreational
evangelism, worship, Bible study, as approved by their supervisor. Supervises
the work of volunteers serving with them on projects.
5. Helps recruit volunteers from among the churches and channels them into
programs and activities in which they can be trained for service.
6. Serves as part-time volunteers in the Anastasia State Recreation Area, in
selected community events, and in other settings, in an effort to minister to
others and to help open avenues for future ministry endeavors.
7. Helps coordinate special performances and programs in resort and leisure
ministry settings and special events.
8. Helps identify Christians in resort and leisure settings and encourages them
to be supportive of each other and their personal ministries in their
9. Is available to speak to church youth and missions groups about their
mission work and their personal call into missions.
10. Makes regular, necessary reports to their supervisor, the Florida Baptist
Convention, the North American Mission Board, and their state student
11. Accepts responsibility for other related tasks as assigned by their
Adapted from material prepared by Sam & Betty Anne Schlegel. Used by