Involving My Church in Disaster Relief
Is your church prepared for action when disaster strikes? Find out how to become a Disaster Ready Church that is equipped to respond.
The Disaster Ready Church
The mission of a Southern Baptist Disaster Ready Church is to be prepared in the event of a disaster to connect with resources and potential response partners to help those in need. These churches are ready to respond quickly and effectively whenever there is a crisis.
Here are some key steps to follow and resources that will prepare your church to be involved in this important ministry.
- Develop a Church Preparedness Plan.
- Help your church families develop a Family Preparedness Plan.
- Prepare Emergency Survival Kits (Lista de suministros de emergencia).
- Enroll and send church members to your local Baptist Convention Disaster Relief training.
- Investigate ways your church can be a shelter, point of distribution, or volunteer coordination center.
- Host Disaster Relief Training for International Disaster Response.
- Volunteer at your local Point of Distribution
- Contact your local Baptist Convention Disaster Relief director.
- Local Government officials, Emergency Management, and Law Enforcement control access to damaged areas.
- American Red Cross Chapter leaders coordinate services for disaster survivors.
- Businesses, non-profits and other churches are key allies in meeting needs following a disaster.
- In your local community.
- To other communities affected by disasters.
- To other countries after disasters strike.
Is your church ready to serve?
Disasters can strike anywhere. This is why every church should be a Disaster Ready Church. Learn more about Disaster Relief preparedness at readyrating.org